Join Kevin Skoglund for an in-depth discussion in this video Validates method, part of Ruby on Rails 3 Essential Training.
Now that we've taken a look at the validation methods, I wanted to look at a new…validates method that was just introduced in Rails 3. What this is essentially is…a shortcut for using the other validation methods.…So the methods we've just seen continue exist you can continue to use them but…we also now have this shortcut available to us and you'll sometimes hear them…referred to as sexy validations. To see what they are, let's first take a look…at a regular validation.…You see we call five different validates methods on e-mail, so we are validating…its presence, its length, its uniqueness, its format and its confirmation.…
What the validates method does is wrap all of this up into one method so that…we can call it like this. validates :e-mail, and then we pass in a hash of all…the validations that we want to run. And for each one of those elements in the hash,…guess what it does?…It calls those old validations, so just a wrapper that gives us a shortcut…validates e-mail presence true, validates links maximum 50, uniqueness true,…
- Understanding MVC (Model View Controller ) architecture
- Routing browser requests through the framework
- Responding to requests with dynamic content
- Defining associations and database relationships
- Creating, reading, updating and deleting records
- Working with forms
- Validating form data
- Reviewing built-in security features
- Authenticating users and managing user access
- Debugging and error handling
Skill Level Beginner
1. What Is Ruby on Rails?
2. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Mac
3. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Windows Machine
4. Getting Started
5. Controllers, Views, and Dynamic Content
6. Databases and Migrations
7. Models, ActiveRecord, and ActiveRelation
9. Controllers and CRUD
10. Layouts, Partials, and View Helpers
12. Data Validation
13. User Authentication
14. Improving the Simple CMS
15. Debugging and Error Handling
16. Introducing More Advanced Topics
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.