Join Kevin Skoglund for an in-depth discussion in this video Update actions: Edit/update, part of Ruby on Rails 3 Essential Training.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
We've added the code to allow us to create records in the controller.…Now we want to be able to update records from the controller.…You remember that like create, there are two standard Rails actions for updating.…Edit displays the form, while update processes the form, and in fact this two…step process of updating records is almost exactly like the process we just…saw for creating it.…There are only two key differences.…The first is that we need to make sure that we have an ID.…New and create didn't need an ID, because there was no record in the…database yet, but edit and update will require that there be an ID so we can…find that existing record.…
Edit will use that existing record's values to pre-populate the form.…The second difference is the way that the form processing takes place.…Create used a combination of new and save.…It created a new object and then it saved it.…Update is going to find an existing object and then use update_attributes to…update its attributes.…But other than that, the two processes are almost identical.…
- Understanding MVC (Model View Controller ) architecture
- Routing browser requests through the framework
- Responding to requests with dynamic content
- Defining associations and database relationships
- Creating, reading, updating and deleting records
- Working with forms
- Validating form data
- Reviewing built-in security features
- Authenticating users and managing user access
- Debugging and error handling
Skill Level Beginner
1. What Is Ruby on Rails?
2. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Mac
3. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Windows Machine
4. Getting Started
5. Controllers, Views, and Dynamic Content
6. Databases and Migrations
7. Models, ActiveRecord, and ActiveRelation
9. Controllers and CRUD
10. Layouts, Partials, and View Helpers
12. Data Validation
13. User Authentication
14. Improving the Simple CMS
15. Debugging and Error Handling
16. Introducing More Advanced Topics
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.