Join Kevin Skoglund for an in-depth discussion in this video Understanding ActiveRecord and ActiveRelation, part of Ruby on Rails 3 Essential Training.
ActiveRecord and ActiveRelation are the part of the Rails framework that's going…to power our models.…So before we begin coding our models, let's first get a big picture…understanding of what ActiveRecord and ActiveRelation are.…First, what is ActiveRecord?…Active record when it's written all lowercase is two separate words refers to a…commonly used design pattern for working with relational databases.…It's not Rails specific.…You can use the active record pattern in a number of different languages.…It's just a way of designing object-oriented software.…ActiveRecord when it's written as one word with a capital A and R refers to the…Rails implementation of the active record pattern.…
Most times you can use the two terms interchangeably, but I think it's still…helpful for you to understand the context and to know the difference.…What the ActiveRecord design pattern does is it allows us to retrieve and…manipulate database data as objects in an object-oriented way, not just…as static rows of data.…
- Understanding MVC (Model View Controller ) architecture
- Routing browser requests through the framework
- Responding to requests with dynamic content
- Defining associations and database relationships
- Creating, reading, updating and deleting records
- Working with forms
- Validating form data
- Reviewing built-in security features
- Authenticating users and managing user access
- Debugging and error handling
Skill Level Beginner
1. What Is Ruby on Rails?
2. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Mac
3. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Windows Machine
4. Getting Started
5. Controllers, Views, and Dynamic Content
6. Databases and Migrations
7. Models, ActiveRecord, and ActiveRelation
9. Controllers and CRUD
10. Layouts, Partials, and View Helpers
12. Data Validation
13. User Authentication
14. Improving the Simple CMS
15. Debugging and Error Handling
16. Introducing More Advanced Topics
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.