Join Kevin Skoglund for an in-depth discussion in this video URL parameters, part of Ruby on Rails 3 Essential Training.
In the last movie, we saw how to create a link and how to specify the two most…important parameters for that link:…the controller and the action.…But what if we want to send other parameters in the URL string?…Maybe we're browsing a multi-page list and we want to view only page five.…We need to send that in the URL somehow, right?…So how can we add that parameter and then how in our controller can we…access those parameters?…That's what we'll see in this movie.…Just to be clear, when I'm talking about additional parameters in the URL,…what I'm talking about is having ?page=3& name=Kevin. Those would be two additional…attribute pairs or parameters that are being sent in the URL string.…
They are to the right of the question mark and they're separated by the &.…That's just basic HTML.…But what we need to know how to do is how to add those to the Rails URL hash…that we're using when we're creating our links.…The process of doing that is super simple.…All we have to do is add them as key/value pairs to our hash.…
- Understanding MVC (Model View Controller ) architecture
- Routing browser requests through the framework
- Responding to requests with dynamic content
- Defining associations and database relationships
- Creating, reading, updating and deleting records
- Working with forms
- Validating form data
- Reviewing built-in security features
- Authenticating users and managing user access
- Debugging and error handling
Skill Level Beginner
1. What Is Ruby on Rails?
2. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Mac
3. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Windows Machine
4. Getting Started
5. Controllers, Views, and Dynamic Content
6. Databases and Migrations
7. Models, ActiveRecord, and ActiveRelation
9. Controllers and CRUD
10. Layouts, Partials, and View Helpers
12. Data Validation
13. User Authentication
14. Improving the Simple CMS
15. Debugging and Error Handling
16. Introducing More Advanced Topics
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.