Join Kevin Skoglund for an in-depth discussion in this video Traversing a rich association, part of Ruby on Rails 3 Essential Training.
In the last movie, we created a rich join between AdminUsers and sections.…But while we gained the ability to add complexity in the form of other…attributes and methods in our model, we lost something at the same time.…We now have to go through an extra step to get from one side of the…association to the other.…Let me show you what I mean.…Before when we had our simple Has and Belongs to Many join, if we wanted to know…all admin users who can edit a page, we could just request the array of editors.…page.editors would return an array to us.…In the case of our rich associations with sections, we can't just ask for a…section's editors, because there is no direct relationship between a section and the editor.…
There is a model that's in between now. In a way it's sort of getting in our way.…We can still do it, but we just have to take an extra step and write some Ruby…code that will go through each section edit and look up its editor.…What we really want is a way to reach across that join easily, to be able to…
- Understanding MVC (Model View Controller ) architecture
- Routing browser requests through the framework
- Responding to requests with dynamic content
- Defining associations and database relationships
- Creating, reading, updating and deleting records
- Working with forms
- Validating form data
- Reviewing built-in security features
- Authenticating users and managing user access
- Debugging and error handling
Skill Level Beginner
1. What Is Ruby on Rails?
2. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Mac
3. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Windows Machine
4. Getting Started
5. Controllers, Views, and Dynamic Content
6. Databases and Migrations
7. Models, ActiveRecord, and ActiveRelation
9. Controllers and CRUD
10. Layouts, Partials, and View Helpers
12. Data Validation
13. User Authentication
14. Improving the Simple CMS
15. Debugging and Error Handling
16. Introducing More Advanced Topics
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.