Join Kevin Skoglund for an in-depth discussion in this video Text helpers, part of Ruby on Rails 3 Essential Training.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
Rails offers many helpers to assist us in performing common text manipulations.…In this movie, we'll look at a few of the most useful.…Since we don't have a reason to use all of these helpers in our application yet,…we're going to create a sort of sandbox page where we can demonstrate them all.…So I'm thinking that we'll create this sandbox page on the demo_controller.…So I'm just going to create a new action here and call it text_helpers.…It's not going to do anything in the action, but we are going to need a…new template for it.…So inside the demo folder of the views, I'm going to put in…text_helpers.html.erb.…
So this gives us a place where I can just paste in a lot of code that we can then look at.…You can pause the movie and copy it down, or just follow along with me.…First, I've got just a simple variable assignment.…text = a double quoted text string.…If I have these double quoted is significant, because I'm using some escape…characters in it and it's important.…To respect those escape characters, we need double quotes around it.…
- Understanding MVC (Model View Controller ) architecture
- Routing browser requests through the framework
- Responding to requests with dynamic content
- Defining associations and database relationships
- Creating, reading, updating and deleting records
- Working with forms
- Validating form data
- Reviewing built-in security features
- Authenticating users and managing user access
- Debugging and error handling
Skill Level Beginner
1. What Is Ruby on Rails?
2. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Mac
3. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Windows Machine
4. Getting Started
5. Controllers, Views, and Dynamic Content
6. Databases and Migrations
7. Models, ActiveRecord, and ActiveRelation
9. Controllers and CRUD
10. Layouts, Partials, and View Helpers
12. Data Validation
13. User Authentication
14. Improving the Simple CMS
15. Debugging and Error Handling
16. Introducing More Advanced Topics
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.