Join Kevin Skoglund for an in-depth discussion in this video Text helpers, part of Ruby on Rails 4 Essential Training.
…Reels provides many helper methods to make common tasks in the view templates easier.…In this movie, we will look at a few of the most useful text helpers.…Text helpers will be looking at our word…wrap, simple format, truncate, excerpt, highlights, pluralize and cycle.…So since we don't have a reason to use all of these helpers and…application yet, we're going to go back to…our, demo controller, and we'll add them there.…So let's add a new action, down here at the…bottom, and we're going to call it text_helpers, and then, we won't…put in anything inside that action because it's just going…to render our template, which is going to be inside views demo.…
And then let's create a new file.…We're going to call it,…text_helpers.html.erb inside the Demo directory.…Inside that, I'm just going to paste in some…examples that we can then walk through together.…Remember that you can pause the movie, if you need time to copy something down.…So, first I start out by assigning some sample text to the variable text.…So, we can use this throughout our examples.…
- Why use Ruby on Rails?
- Installing Ruby on Rails on Mac and Windows
- Rendering templates and redirecting requests
- Generating and running database migrations
- Creating, updating, and deleting records
- Understanding association types
- Using layouts, partials, and view helpers
- Incorporating assets using asset pipeline
- Validating form data
- Authenticating users and managing user access
- Architecting RESTful applications
- Debugging and error handing
Skill Level Intermediate
1. What Is Ruby on Rails?
2. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Mac
3. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Windows Machine
4. Getting Started
5. Controllers, Views, and Dynamic Content
6. Databases and Migrations
7. Models, ActiveRecord, and ActiveRelation
9. Controllers and CRUD
10. Layouts, Partials, and View Helpers
13. Data Validation
14. User Authentication
15. Improving the Simple CMS
16. REST and RESTful Routes
17. Debugging and Error Handling
18. Introducing More Advanced Topics
Next steps1m 40s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.