Join Kevin Skoglund for an in-depth discussion in this video Text editor, part of Ruby on Rails 4 Essential Training.
…We're almost done with all the installations we need…to be able to develop with Ruby on Rails.…The last thing is to make sure that you have a…good text editor which you can use for writing your code.…MacOS10 comes with a very simple text editor called TextEdit, or you…may have some word processing programs…like Microsoft Word, or OpenOffice or Pages.…none of those applications are suitable for developing with code.…They're all going to add extra information to the file that we don't…want, like what font you're using and where the margins are set at.…Instead, we need an application that's designed not be a,…just a text editor, but to be a code editor.…
There are a few key features that we want to look for.…The first is that you want something that does code coloring or syntax highlighting.…That is that it understands the language that we're programming in well…enough that different parts of the language can be assigned different colors.…So for example if we are programming in Ruby, then Ruby class name might be in…
- Why use Ruby on Rails?
- Installing Ruby on Rails on Mac and Windows
- Rendering templates and redirecting requests
- Generating and running database migrations
- Creating, updating, and deleting records
- Understanding association types
- Using layouts, partials, and view helpers
- Incorporating assets using asset pipeline
- Validating form data
- Authenticating users and managing user access
- Architecting RESTful applications
- Debugging and error handing
Skill Level Beginner
1. What Is Ruby on Rails?
2. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Mac
3. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Windows Machine
4. Getting Started
5. Controllers, Views, and Dynamic Content
6. Databases and Migrations
7. Models, ActiveRecord, and ActiveRelation
9. Controllers and CRUD
10. Layouts, Partials, and View Helpers
13. Data Validation
14. User Authentication
15. Improving the Simple CMS
16. REST and RESTful Routes
17. Debugging and Error Handling
18. Introducing More Advanced Topics
Next steps1m 40s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.