Join Kevin Skoglund for an in-depth discussion in this video Solution: Migrations for the CMS, part of Ruby on Rails 4 Essential Training.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
…[MUSIC]…Here's my solution to the challenge assignment.…This code is included in the exercise files.…The first objective was to generate three models.…So I did that, rails, generate model subject,…rails generate model page, and rails generate model section.…Notice that I used camel case, and I made them singular.…That's what we want to use for our models.…And it created a model here, at model subject, one…for page, and one for section, and three corresponding migrations.…
Next, we needed to write the migrations themselves.…For create subjects, it gave me the template for create subject,…and I just needed to fill it in with my definitions.…So, I've got name, which is a string, position,…which is an integer, and visible, which is a Boolean.…I also went ahead and added a default option for Boolean.…This is a good idea, especially if a Boolean is going to be true or…false, go ahead and pick one of them to be the default in the database.…Would you rather it default to true?…Or would you rather it default to false?…
- Why use Ruby on Rails?
- Installing Ruby on Rails on Mac and Windows
- Rendering templates and redirecting requests
- Generating and running database migrations
- Creating, updating, and deleting records
- Understanding association types
- Using layouts, partials, and view helpers
- Incorporating assets using asset pipeline
- Validating form data
- Authenticating users and managing user access
- Architecting RESTful applications
- Debugging and error handing
Skill Level Beginner
1. What Is Ruby on Rails?
2. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Mac
3. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Windows Machine
4. Getting Started
5. Controllers, Views, and Dynamic Content
6. Databases and Migrations
7. Models, ActiveRecord, and ActiveRelation
9. Controllers and CRUD
10. Layouts, Partials, and View Helpers
13. Data Validation
14. User Authentication
15. Improving the Simple CMS
16. REST and RESTful Routes
17. Debugging and Error Handling
18. Introducing More Advanced Topics
Next steps1m 40s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.