…In this movie, I want to give you a better understanding of how server requests…are handled because there are some subtle,…but important points that you need to understand.…Previously, when we looked at the MVC architecture, I showed you…a diagram that simplified it down to just the MVC portion.…Let me give you a slightly more expansive…but still greatly simplified view of the rails architecture.…First, our request originates with the browser.…It goes to the web server, for processing.…In our case, that's web break.…But, it can also be apache, nginx, or something else.…
First, the web server will look inside the projects public directory, for…any file whose path name exactly match the request that came in.…If it finds that file, we will return that…file to the browser, and never access the rails framework.…That makes sense.…There's no reason to use the framework when the request…is for a self contained, static HTML page or image.…And it really speeds things up when the server is gathering images,…style sheets, or other static assets to send back to the browser.…
- Why use Ruby on Rails?
- Installing Ruby on Rails on Mac and Windows
- Rendering templates and redirecting requests
- Generating and running database migrations
- Creating, updating, and deleting records
- Understanding association types
- Using layouts, partials, and view helpers
- Incorporating assets using asset pipeline
- Validating form data
- Authenticating users and managing user access
- Architecting RESTful applications
- Debugging and error handing
Skill Level Intermediate
1. What Is Ruby on Rails?
2. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Mac
3. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Windows Machine
4. Getting Started
5. Controllers, Views, and Dynamic Content
6. Databases and Migrations
7. Models, ActiveRecord, and ActiveRelation
9. Controllers and CRUD
10. Layouts, Partials, and View Helpers
13. Data Validation
14. User Authentication
15. Improving the Simple CMS
16. REST and RESTful Routes
17. Debugging and Error Handling
18. Introducing More Advanced Topics
Next steps1m 40s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.