Join Kevin Skoglund for an in-depth discussion in this video RubyGems, part of Ruby on Rails 3 Essential Training.
Now that we have the Ruby installed, we're ready to learn about RubyGems.…RubyGems helps us to manage the different Ruby libraries that we will be needing.…RubyGems is the name of the package manager.…A single RubyGem or just a gem for short is simply Ruby code that's been…packaged up for easy distribution using RubyGems.…We are going to make extensive use of RubyGems.…You will become very familiar with them, and as you'll see Rails is itself a Ruby gem.…And when we installed Ruby, using the RubyInstaller, it should've included…RubyGems for us automatically.…
If for any reason that stops being true in the future, the way you get RubyGems…is by going to www.rubygems.org.…And from right there, you can see the link for installing RubyGems and it will…take you to the download instructions.…This is a good resource for RubyGems, because you can find all the Ruby gems, all…the code libraries that have been created, that can be shared with RubyGems, and…they also host user guides, frequently asked questions, and things you might…
- Understanding MVC (Model View Controller ) architecture
- Routing browser requests through the framework
- Responding to requests with dynamic content
- Defining associations and database relationships
- Creating, reading, updating and deleting records
- Working with forms
- Validating form data
- Reviewing built-in security features
- Authenticating users and managing user access
- Debugging and error handling
Skill Level Beginner
1. What Is Ruby on Rails?
2. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Mac
3. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Windows Machine
4. Getting Started
5. Controllers, Views, and Dynamic Content
6. Databases and Migrations
7. Models, ActiveRecord, and ActiveRelation
9. Controllers and CRUD
10. Layouts, Partials, and View Helpers
12. Data Validation
13. User Authentication
14. Improving the Simple CMS
15. Debugging and Error Handling
16. Introducing More Advanced Topics
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.