…Now that we have Ruby installed, we're ready to install RubyGems.…RubyGems is another package manager.…We've already installed two, installed homebrew to manage open source…apps, and we've installed rbenv to manage our Ruby versions.…Now we're going to add another that will manage our Ruby helper libraries…and plug ins that our Ruby on Rails application is going to use.…A single RubyGem or just called Gem for short, is simply ruby…code that has been packaged up for easy distribution using the package manager.…
Rails makes extensive use of RubyGems.…In fact, as you'll see, Rails is itself a Gem.…Let's take a look.…We'll start by going into the terminal, and in the command line,…we'll just type gem -v to find out if you have RubyGems installed.…And if so, what version you have.…Mine tells me that I have version 2.0.3.…If I type which gem, it'll give me a clue about how that got installed.…You can see that it's in this RBN folder, inside shems.…And that lets me know that during the process of installing…RBN and Ruby, it also installed RubyGems at the same time.…
- Why use Ruby on Rails?
- Installing Ruby on Rails on Mac and Windows
- Rendering templates and redirecting requests
- Generating and running database migrations
- Creating, updating, and deleting records
- Understanding association types
- Using layouts, partials, and view helpers
- Incorporating assets using asset pipeline
- Validating form data
- Authenticating users and managing user access
- Architecting RESTful applications
- Debugging and error handing
Skill Level Intermediate
1. What Is Ruby on Rails?
2. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Mac
3. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Windows Machine
4. Getting Started
5. Controllers, Views, and Dynamic Content
6. Databases and Migrations
7. Models, ActiveRecord, and ActiveRelation
9. Controllers and CRUD
10. Layouts, Partials, and View Helpers
13. Data Validation
14. User Authentication
15. Improving the Simple CMS
16. REST and RESTful Routes
17. Debugging and Error Handling
18. Introducing More Advanced Topics
Next steps1m 40s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.