Join Kevin Skoglund for an in-depth discussion in this video Ruby for Mac OS 10.x, part of Ruby on Rails 4 Essential Training.
…In this movie we will makes sure you have the correct version of Ruby installed and…if not I will walk you through the steps to get it installed and up to date.…There's three main versions of Ruby which you're likely to come across.…These are recent versions.…The first of those is version 1.8, the version that was released a long…time ago but it was very popular and it stuck around for a long time.…It was a large span of time before we released 1.9.…So 1.8 is out there.…And very popular.…And in fact it came pre-installed on…all Mac Operating Systems starting with version 10.5.…
That's Tiger.…So starting with Tiger all the way through Mac OS 10.8 which is Mountain Lion.…Version 1.8 is pre-installed and ready to go.…Now most cases that's version 1.87.…But there's a big problem with all of these 1.8 versions.…And that is that they're no longer supported.…And when I said that, I don't just mean that they won't work with Ruby on rails.…I mean that the development team of the…Ruby language has decided that this is dead software.…
- Why use Ruby on Rails?
- Installing Ruby on Rails on Mac and Windows
- Rendering templates and redirecting requests
- Generating and running database migrations
- Creating, updating, and deleting records
- Understanding association types
- Using layouts, partials, and view helpers
- Incorporating assets using asset pipeline
- Validating form data
- Authenticating users and managing user access
- Architecting RESTful applications
- Debugging and error handing
Skill Level Intermediate
1. What Is Ruby on Rails?
2. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Mac
3. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Windows Machine
4. Getting Started
5. Controllers, Views, and Dynamic Content
6. Databases and Migrations
7. Models, ActiveRecord, and ActiveRelation
9. Controllers and CRUD
10. Layouts, Partials, and View Helpers
13. Data Validation
14. User Authentication
15. Improving the Simple CMS
16. REST and RESTful Routes
17. Debugging and Error Handling
18. Introducing More Advanced Topics
Next steps1m 40s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.