Join Kevin Skoglund for an in-depth discussion in this video Ruby on Rails, part of Ruby on Rails 4 Essential Training.
…In the last movie, we took a look…at Ruby Gems, the package manager for Ruby Libraries.…Now that we have Ruby Gems installed, it will make it really…simple for us to install Ruby Unrails, because Ruby Unrails is a Gem.…Let's go to the command line and see how.…You want to up up Command Prompt if you don't already have it open.…From here, we can type gem space list, and Ruby Gems…will return a list of the gems that are currently installed.…If we want to install new gems, we do that with…gem, space, install, space, and then the name of the gem.…
So in this case, Rails.…Now I'm not going to hit return just yet.…If I were to hit return, it would install the latest version…of Ruby on Rails, and all the supporting gems that it needs.…Let's talk for a moment about the different versions.…You can go to the rubygems.org website, and from here…you can search for Rails, and then pick the Rails choice.…You can see here that the current version is…four zero zero, at the time that I'm recording this.…That might very well have changed by the time that you get here.…
- Why use Ruby on Rails?
- Installing Ruby on Rails on Mac and Windows
- Rendering templates and redirecting requests
- Generating and running database migrations
- Creating, updating, and deleting records
- Understanding association types
- Using layouts, partials, and view helpers
- Incorporating assets using asset pipeline
- Validating form data
- Authenticating users and managing user access
- Architecting RESTful applications
- Debugging and error handing
Skill Level Beginner
1. What Is Ruby on Rails?
2. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Mac
3. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Windows Machine
4. Getting Started
5. Controllers, Views, and Dynamic Content
6. Databases and Migrations
7. Models, ActiveRecord, and ActiveRelation
9. Controllers and CRUD
10. Layouts, Partials, and View Helpers
13. Data Validation
14. User Authentication
15. Improving the Simple CMS
16. REST and RESTful Routes
17. Debugging and Error Handling
18. Introducing More Advanced Topics
Next steps1m 40s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.