Join Kevin Skoglund for an in-depth discussion in this video Ruby on Rails, part of Ruby on Rails 4 Essential Training.
…In the last movie, we installed Ruby Gems,…which is the package manager for Ruby Libraries,…and I told you at the time that Ruby on Rails is actually a Ruby Gem.…So, because we have the Ruby Gems package manager installed, it's going to make it…really, really simple for us to install…and manage different versions of Ruby on Rails.…Star by going into you terminal application.…Now the first gem that we're going to install acctually won't be rails.…We're actaully going to start by instaelling somtething called bundler.…Bundler is a tool that helps your rails application to load the right ruby gems.…
imagine for a moment that we have more…than one ruby on rails application on our computer.…The first application might be older and want to use version 1 of a particular gem.…While another, more up to date, ruby on rails application,…might want to use the newer version 2 of the gem.…And many gems require other gems to…function, and those have different versions too.…Back in rails version 2, keeping all of these gem versions straight…
- Why use Ruby on Rails?
- Installing Ruby on Rails on Mac and Windows
- Rendering templates and redirecting requests
- Generating and running database migrations
- Creating, updating, and deleting records
- Understanding association types
- Using layouts, partials, and view helpers
- Incorporating assets using asset pipeline
- Validating form data
- Authenticating users and managing user access
- Architecting RESTful applications
- Debugging and error handing
Skill Level Beginner
1. What Is Ruby on Rails?
2. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Mac
3. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Windows Machine
4. Getting Started
5. Controllers, Views, and Dynamic Content
6. Databases and Migrations
7. Models, ActiveRecord, and ActiveRelation
9. Controllers and CRUD
10. Layouts, Partials, and View Helpers
13. Data Validation
14. User Authentication
15. Improving the Simple CMS
16. REST and RESTful Routes
17. Debugging and Error Handling
18. Introducing More Advanced Topics
Next steps1m 40s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.