Join Kevin Skoglund for an in-depth discussion in this video Routes, part of Ruby on Rails 3 Essential Training.
In the last movie we changed the name of index.html inside our public folder,…and as a result when we tried to load up the root of our application to just simply…localhost:3000, we got back a routing error.…So we need to understand how Rails parse the requested that come in into…controllers and actions.…Now routes is a very big topic and there are lots advanced features in routes.…So we are going to stick to three basic route types for now.…We are going to be looking at simple routes, default routes and the root route.…To start with let's jump back to our application.…
So I have still got my web server running and you can see I have still got the…routing error in my browser window. To remind ourselves, if we were to type…demo/index, we do still get our Hello World!page.…So Rails routing is working at least in some context, because it's able to route…this request to the correct controller and action.…It's just not able to route that other request.…If we take a look at the output that it gives us, notice this part right here:…
- Understanding MVC (Model View Controller ) architecture
- Routing browser requests through the framework
- Responding to requests with dynamic content
- Defining associations and database relationships
- Creating, reading, updating and deleting records
- Working with forms
- Validating form data
- Reviewing built-in security features
- Authenticating users and managing user access
- Debugging and error handling
Skill Level Beginner
1. What Is Ruby on Rails?
2. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Mac
3. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Windows Machine
4. Getting Started
5. Controllers, Views, and Dynamic Content
6. Databases and Migrations
7. Models, ActiveRecord, and ActiveRelation
9. Controllers and CRUD
10. Layouts, Partials, and View Helpers
12. Data Validation
13. User Authentication
14. Improving the Simple CMS
15. Debugging and Error Handling
16. Introducing More Advanced Topics
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.