Join Kevin Skoglund for an in-depth discussion in this video Rendering templates, part of Ruby on Rails 4 Essential Training.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
…In this chapter, we're going to examine, how the controllers and the…views do their work, and how they allow us to output dynamic content.…And we're going to begin by learning how templates are rendered.…Let's go back to our MVC diagram.…At the end of the last chapter, we saw how browser requests go…to the routes, and the routes determine which controller and action get used.…At that point the controller takes over.…And the controller's job is to control.…It makes choices about how to respond to the request the route just passed along.…The controller can access our model and our databases during this process.…
But I want to set those aside from now and…focus on one of the biggest choices that a controller makes.…Which is, which view template should it use…when returning a response back to the user.…How does the controller choose?…In last chapter, we created a new controller called…demo controller and when we generated it, the generator…put a file inside controllers called demo controller and…also created a new directory called demo inside views.…
- Why use Ruby on Rails?
- Installing Ruby on Rails on Mac and Windows
- Rendering templates and redirecting requests
- Generating and running database migrations
- Creating, updating, and deleting records
- Understanding association types
- Using layouts, partials, and view helpers
- Incorporating assets using asset pipeline
- Validating form data
- Authenticating users and managing user access
- Architecting RESTful applications
- Debugging and error handing
Skill Level Beginner
1. What Is Ruby on Rails?
2. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Mac
3. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Windows Machine
4. Getting Started
5. Controllers, Views, and Dynamic Content
6. Databases and Migrations
7. Models, ActiveRecord, and ActiveRelation
9. Controllers and CRUD
10. Layouts, Partials, and View Helpers
13. Data Validation
14. User Authentication
15. Improving the Simple CMS
16. REST and RESTful Routes
17. Debugging and Error Handling
18. Introducing More Advanced Topics
Next steps1m 40s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.