Join Kevin Skoglund for an in-depth discussion in this video Relationship types, part of Ruby on Rails 3 Essential Training.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
In the previous chapter we saw how to create, read, update and delete records…using a single model and a single database table.…What if we want to access information in the related tables?…We could retrieve a record, let's say a page in our CMS, and then we'd be able to…see its foreign key, which is subject ID.…We can take that value and we can do a second query on the database to retrieve…the related subject from the Subjects table.…That approach works just fine and sometimes that's exactly what you will do.…But most of the time it's going to be really tedious and we are not going to…want to have to go through all of those steps explicitly.…
To get the most benefit out of working with the relational database, it would be…better if we could define the relationships between our models and therefore…between our tables and then work with those relationships in an object-oriented way…and let Rails do most of the behind-the-scenes work for us.…After all that's what ActiveRecord did when we were working with the single…
- Understanding MVC (Model View Controller ) architecture
- Routing browser requests through the framework
- Responding to requests with dynamic content
- Defining associations and database relationships
- Creating, reading, updating and deleting records
- Working with forms
- Validating form data
- Reviewing built-in security features
- Authenticating users and managing user access
- Debugging and error handling
Skill Level Beginner
1. What Is Ruby on Rails?
2. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Mac
3. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Windows Machine
4. Getting Started
5. Controllers, Views, and Dynamic Content
6. Databases and Migrations
7. Models, ActiveRecord, and ActiveRelation
9. Controllers and CRUD
10. Layouts, Partials, and View Helpers
12. Data Validation
13. User Authentication
14. Improving the Simple CMS
15. Debugging and Error Handling
16. Introducing More Advanced Topics
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.