Join Kevin Skoglund for an in-depth discussion in this video Redirecting actions, part of Ruby on Rails 4 Essential Training.
…In this movie, we are going to learn how to redirect actions from the controller.…Controllers can respond to request by rendering a view back to the browser.…The diagram that we have been looking at is deceptive, because it…is the controller's final step must always be to render a view.…But the controller can make a different choice.…They can also perform a redirect instead.…So what is a redirect?…A redirect sends a request to a different controller an action.…Imagine this scenario.…A user requests a page which is in a password protected area.…
The controller checks to see if they are logged in.…And if they are, then they get the page that they wanted.…But if they're not, then they get redirected to a log in page instead.…Then you may be thinking well why not just use render and render the log in page?…But rendering is just rendering the template.…If there's any other code that the log in action needs to perform, any…other housekeeping that it needs to take care of before it can display the form.…Maybe it looks in their cookies to find their user name.…
- Why use Ruby on Rails?
- Installing Ruby on Rails on Mac and Windows
- Rendering templates and redirecting requests
- Generating and running database migrations
- Creating, updating, and deleting records
- Understanding association types
- Using layouts, partials, and view helpers
- Incorporating assets using asset pipeline
- Validating form data
- Authenticating users and managing user access
- Architecting RESTful applications
- Debugging and error handing
Skill Level Intermediate
1. What Is Ruby on Rails?
2. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Mac
3. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Windows Machine
4. Getting Started
5. Controllers, Views, and Dynamic Content
6. Databases and Migrations
7. Models, ActiveRecord, and ActiveRelation
9. Controllers and CRUD
10. Layouts, Partials, and View Helpers
13. Data Validation
14. User Authentication
15. Improving the Simple CMS
16. REST and RESTful Routes
17. Debugging and Error Handling
18. Introducing More Advanced Topics
Next steps1m 40s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.