…In this movie we will learn to implement the Show…action, which is the other common read action used for CRUD.…In the last movie we used index to return a list of records.…One key difference about how Show works compared to Index is that…show requires an ID, and that ID must exist in the database.…Otherwise, Rails will return an active record…not found error, and that makes sense.…We can't very well view the details of a record if…we can't look it up by ID, or if it's not there.…Let's add the link to the Show page on our index…template and we'll be sure to add that ID when we do.…
So to begin with, you want to go…to your views, inside subjects, the index.html.erb.…That's the template we were just working with, and…scroll down to the link that goes to Show.…Replace the placeholder link that I've got there with a hash.…And in that hash we're going to tell the link where it should go.…We want to go to the same controller so we don't need to specify the controller.…Rails will assume that by default.…And then we want to go the action for Show.…
- Why use Ruby on Rails?
- Installing Ruby on Rails on Mac and Windows
- Rendering templates and redirecting requests
- Generating and running database migrations
- Creating, updating, and deleting records
- Understanding association types
- Using layouts, partials, and view helpers
- Incorporating assets using asset pipeline
- Validating form data
- Authenticating users and managing user access
- Architecting RESTful applications
- Debugging and error handing
Skill Level Intermediate
1. What Is Ruby on Rails?
2. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Mac
3. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Windows Machine
4. Getting Started
5. Controllers, Views, and Dynamic Content
6. Databases and Migrations
7. Models, ActiveRecord, and ActiveRelation
9. Controllers and CRUD
10. Layouts, Partials, and View Helpers
13. Data Validation
14. User Authentication
15. Improving the Simple CMS
16. REST and RESTful Routes
17. Debugging and Error Handling
18. Introducing More Advanced Topics
Next steps1m 40s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.