Join Kevin Skoglund for an in-depth discussion in this video Read action: List, part of Ruby on Rails 3 Essential Training.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
In this movie, we will learn to implement the read actions that make up the…basic CRUD in our controllers.…In the previous movie, we saw that reading records from the database is usually…handled by two standard Rails actions: list and show.…List displays the listing of a set records, while show displays only a single…record or a detailed view.…The two actions aren't quite as tightly coupled as the actions in create,…update, and delete, where you have displaying the form followed by processing…the form, but they do work together.…It's a very common design to display a list of items to the user and then…the user clicks a link or a button next to one of the items and goes to a…detail page for that item.…
The user reviews the details and then clicks a back to list link when they're…done to go back to the main list.…Even if you've never put these exact terms to it before, I'm sure you're…familiar with that concept from other web sites.…Well, let's see how now we can add the list action to our SubjectsController.…
- Understanding MVC (Model View Controller ) architecture
- Routing browser requests through the framework
- Responding to requests with dynamic content
- Defining associations and database relationships
- Creating, reading, updating and deleting records
- Working with forms
- Validating form data
- Reviewing built-in security features
- Authenticating users and managing user access
- Debugging and error handling
Skill Level Beginner
1. What Is Ruby on Rails?
2. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Mac
3. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Windows Machine
4. Getting Started
5. Controllers, Views, and Dynamic Content
6. Databases and Migrations
7. Models, ActiveRecord, and ActiveRelation
9. Controllers and CRUD
10. Layouts, Partials, and View Helpers
12. Data Validation
13. User Authentication
14. Improving the Simple CMS
15. Debugging and Error Handling
16. Introducing More Advanced Topics
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.