Join Kevin Skoglund for an in-depth discussion in this video Read action: Index, part of Ruby on Rails 4 Essential Training.
…In this movie we will learn to implement the index…action which is part of basic CRUD in our controllers.…In the previous movie, we saw that reading records from the…database is usually handled by two standard Rails actions: Index and Show.…Index displays a list of records, while Show…displays a detailed view of a single record.…The two actions work together hand-in-hand as a common application design pattern.…The application displays a list of items to the user.…The user clicks a link for one of those items.…Then the application shows the user a detail page for that item.…
The user reviews the details and then clicks a link to go back to the main list.…Even if you've never put these exact terms to it…before, I'm sure you're familiar with the concept from other websites.…Let's see how we can add the index action to our subjects controller.…So if you don't already have it open, open up your subjects controller.…And in the place holder that it gave us for the index action, we want…to add code to tell the controller to assemble a list of all of the subjects.…
- Why use Ruby on Rails?
- Installing Ruby on Rails on Mac and Windows
- Rendering templates and redirecting requests
- Generating and running database migrations
- Creating, updating, and deleting records
- Understanding association types
- Using layouts, partials, and view helpers
- Incorporating assets using asset pipeline
- Validating form data
- Authenticating users and managing user access
- Architecting RESTful applications
- Debugging and error handing
Skill Level Beginner
1. What Is Ruby on Rails?
2. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Mac
3. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Windows Machine
4. Getting Started
5. Controllers, Views, and Dynamic Content
6. Databases and Migrations
7. Models, ActiveRecord, and ActiveRelation
9. Controllers and CRUD
10. Layouts, Partials, and View Helpers
13. Data Validation
14. User Authentication
15. Improving the Simple CMS
16. REST and RESTful Routes
17. Debugging and Error Handling
18. Introducing More Advanced Topics
Next steps1m 40s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.