Join Kevin Skoglund for an in-depth discussion in this video Rake, part of Ruby on Rails 3 Essential Training.
At the end of the last movie, we typed our first rake command.…In this movie, we're going to see what rake is and understand better what it can do for us.…Simply put, rake is a simple Ruby helper program.…It's going to help us to do things.…It's actually a builder program.…If you have command line experience and you've done a lot of UNIX before,…it's very similar in capabilities to make and that's where it's gets its name from.…It's a Ruby implementation of make.…A typical rake command is like the one that we just entered in the end of the last movie.…rake, space, and then whatever we'd like it to do.…
That's the task that we'd like it to do.…In fact, the task is actually just the last part there, dump.…The rest of it is what's called name spacing.…It's how we make sure that we don't have a conflict if there is several…different rake tasks that are all called dump.…We'll make sure that this one is namespaced to keep it separate.…It's the one that dumps the database schema, but altogether it looks like a task.…
- Understanding MVC (Model View Controller ) architecture
- Routing browser requests through the framework
- Responding to requests with dynamic content
- Defining associations and database relationships
- Creating, reading, updating and deleting records
- Working with forms
- Validating form data
- Reviewing built-in security features
- Authenticating users and managing user access
- Debugging and error handling
Skill Level Beginner
1. What Is Ruby on Rails?
2. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Mac
3. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Windows Machine
4. Getting Started
5. Controllers, Views, and Dynamic Content
6. Databases and Migrations
7. Models, ActiveRecord, and ActiveRelation
9. Controllers and CRUD
10. Layouts, Partials, and View Helpers
12. Data Validation
13. User Authentication
14. Improving the Simple CMS
15. Debugging and Error Handling
16. Introducing More Advanced Topics
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.