Join Kevin Skoglund for an in-depth discussion in this video Rails, part of Ruby on Rails 3 Essential Training.
In the last movie we installed Ruby gems…which is the package manager for Ruby libraries.…And I told you at the time that Rails is actually…a Ruby Gem so because we have the Ruby Gem package…manager installed it's going to make it really really simple for…us to install and manage different versions of Ruby on Rails.…But our first gem to install won't be Rails it will be Bundler.…Bundler is a tool that helps your Rails application to load the right Ruby Gems.…Imagine for a moment that we have more…than one Ruby on Rails application on our computer.…The first application might be older and want to…use version 1 of a particular gem, while another,…more up to date Ruby on Rails application might…want use the newer version 2 of this gem.…
And many gems require other gems to function.…And each of those might have multiple versions as well.…Well, with Ruby on Rails version 2, keeping all of…these gem versions straight, and making sure that the correct…ones were loaded, became a big headache.…So Bundler was added in Rails 3 to manage the gems that each application needs.…
- Understanding MVC (Model View Controller ) architecture
- Routing browser requests through the framework
- Responding to requests with dynamic content
- Defining associations and database relationships
- Creating, reading, updating and deleting records
- Working with forms
- Validating form data
- Reviewing built-in security features
- Authenticating users and managing user access
- Debugging and error handling
Skill Level Beginner
1. What Is Ruby on Rails?
2. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Mac
3. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Windows Machine
4. Getting Started
5. Controllers, Views, and Dynamic Content
6. Databases and Migrations
7. Models, ActiveRecord, and ActiveRelation
9. Controllers and CRUD
10. Layouts, Partials, and View Helpers
12. Data Validation
13. User Authentication
14. Improving the Simple CMS
15. Debugging and Error Handling
16. Introducing More Advanced Topics
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.