Join Kevin Skoglund for an in-depth discussion in this video Public area navigation, part of Ruby on Rails 3 Essential Training.
In the last movie we created a public controller and enabled it to display pages…from our CMS, but to view those pages, we had to actually type the URL that we…wanted into the browser's URL bar.…Now let's create a list of pages by subject that will be links that allow us…to navigate around the site and view different pages just by clicking on those links.…So if we want to be able to display a list of the subjects and then a list of…those subjects pages we need to start by finding the subjects.…So we will do that by going into our controller for public and we are going to…use a before filter to do it.…
So that it will happen in both of these actions and any other actions we might…add in the future, and let's call it setup_navigation and now let's copy that…name in down here I will create a private method and we'll call it…setup_navigation before_ filter :setup_navigation.…So what does this method need to do?…Well, it needs to find the subjects.…We can do that by finding Subject.visible and sorted.…
- Understanding MVC (Model View Controller ) architecture
- Routing browser requests through the framework
- Responding to requests with dynamic content
- Defining associations and database relationships
- Creating, reading, updating and deleting records
- Working with forms
- Validating form data
- Reviewing built-in security features
- Authenticating users and managing user access
- Debugging and error handling
Skill Level Beginner
1. What Is Ruby on Rails?
2. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Mac
3. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Windows Machine
4. Getting Started
5. Controllers, Views, and Dynamic Content
6. Databases and Migrations
7. Models, ActiveRecord, and ActiveRelation
9. Controllers and CRUD
10. Layouts, Partials, and View Helpers
12. Data Validation
13. User Authentication
14. Improving the Simple CMS
15. Debugging and Error Handling
16. Introducing More Advanced Topics
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.