Join Kevin Skoglund for an in-depth discussion in this video Named scopes, part of Ruby on Rails 3 Essential Training.
Now that we have understood how to use the different query methods available in…Rails, I would like us to take a look at something called named scopes.…Now named scopes doesn't necessarily belong in an Essential training course,…because you could get along perfectly fine without them, but I think they…provide such a cool useful feature that I can't help but show them to you.…What Names Scopes do is they let you take the queries that we were constructing…before, give them a name, and store them in your model. So it allows us to define…queries in the model using ActiveRelation query methods.…We call them just like ActiveRelation query methods.…
In fact, we can daisy-chain them together and combine them with other active…ActiveRelation query methods and have them return the results we want.…So why would you do this?…Well, things that you use often you can just give a simple name to, put it in…your model, and then you can just call it with whatever name you have given it…and it will perform that query.…
- Understanding MVC (Model View Controller ) architecture
- Routing browser requests through the framework
- Responding to requests with dynamic content
- Defining associations and database relationships
- Creating, reading, updating and deleting records
- Working with forms
- Validating form data
- Reviewing built-in security features
- Authenticating users and managing user access
- Debugging and error handling
Skill Level Beginner
1. What Is Ruby on Rails?
2. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Mac
3. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Windows Machine
4. Getting Started
5. Controllers, Views, and Dynamic Content
6. Databases and Migrations
7. Models, ActiveRecord, and ActiveRelation
9. Controllers and CRUD
10. Layouts, Partials, and View Helpers
12. Data Validation
13. User Authentication
14. Improving the Simple CMS
15. Debugging and Error Handling
16. Introducing More Advanced Topics
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.