Join Kevin Skoglund for an in-depth discussion in this video MySQL, part of Ruby on Rails 3 Essential Training.
Our web application will use a database to store information.…In this movie I am going to show you how to get the MySQL database installed.…If you already have MySQL installed, because you've already been developing with it,…then you wont need to install it again. Just skim over this movie to make…sure that you already know everything that I cover.…If you prefer to use a different database such as SQLite, Postgres, Oracle, you can, …and without many changes to what I'm going to be showing.…But we are going to be sticking with MySQL.…If you've installed MySQL previously but only as part of the WAMP or XAMP or…another all in one package, then you should refer to their documentation for…instructions on how launch and connect to it.…
One other important note. Some Windows users already use Microsoft Access as a…database and wonder if they can use that with Rails.…Well, Access really isn't robust enough for server usage.…It's not supported in Rails and there's no official database adapter to make it work.…
- Understanding MVC (Model View Controller ) architecture
- Routing browser requests through the framework
- Responding to requests with dynamic content
- Defining associations and database relationships
- Creating, reading, updating and deleting records
- Working with forms
- Validating form data
- Reviewing built-in security features
- Authenticating users and managing user access
- Debugging and error handling
Skill Level Beginner
1. What Is Ruby on Rails?
2. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Mac
3. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Windows Machine
4. Getting Started
5. Controllers, Views, and Dynamic Content
6. Databases and Migrations
7. Models, ActiveRecord, and ActiveRelation
9. Controllers and CRUD
10. Layouts, Partials, and View Helpers
12. Data Validation
13. User Authentication
14. Improving the Simple CMS
15. Debugging and Error Handling
16. Introducing More Advanced Topics
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.