Join Kevin Skoglund for an in-depth discussion in this video MySQL, part of Ruby on Rails 3 Essential Training.
When developing web applications we're going…to use a database to store information.…In this movie I'm going to show you how to get MySQL installed to be that database.…If you already have MySQL installed either because…you've already been developing with it or because…you taken another training course that included it…then you won't need to install it again.…Just skim over this movie to make sure…that you already know everything that I cover.…If you prefer to use a different database, such as SQLite or…Postgres, you should be able to use those without making many changes…to what I demonstrate in this tutorial. But we're going to be sticking with MySQL.…And it'll be up to you to make…any adjustments that you need for those other databases.…
There are three steps to getting MySQL installed.…The first step is to install MySQL itself.…And for that we have two ways of doing it.…We can go to the MySQL website and…download an installer and install it that way.…And in the past that was typically the only way that you could get it installed.…
- Understanding MVC (Model View Controller ) architecture
- Routing browser requests through the framework
- Responding to requests with dynamic content
- Defining associations and database relationships
- Creating, reading, updating and deleting records
- Working with forms
- Validating form data
- Reviewing built-in security features
- Authenticating users and managing user access
- Debugging and error handling
Skill Level Beginner
1. What Is Ruby on Rails?
2. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Mac
3. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Windows Machine
4. Getting Started
5. Controllers, Views, and Dynamic Content
6. Databases and Migrations
7. Models, ActiveRecord, and ActiveRelation
9. Controllers and CRUD
10. Layouts, Partials, and View Helpers
12. Data Validation
13. User Authentication
14. Improving the Simple CMS
15. Debugging and Error Handling
16. Introducing More Advanced Topics
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.