Join Kevin Skoglund for an in-depth discussion in this video MySQL, part of Ruby on Rails 4 Essential Training.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
…Our Web Application, will use the database to store information.…In this movie, I'm going to show you how to get the MySQL Database installed.…If you already have MySQL installed because you've already been…developing with it, then you won't need to install it again.…Just skim over this movie to make sure…that you already know everything that I cover.…If you prefer to use a different database, such as SQL light, Postgresql…or Oracle, you can and without many changes to what I'm going to be showing.…But we're going to be sticking with MySQL.…If you've installed MySQL previously but only as part…of the WAMP or XAMPP or another all in…one package, then you should refer to their documentation…for instructions on how to launch and connect to it.…
One other important note.…Some, Windows users already use Microsoft Access as the…database and wonder if they can use that with rails.…Well, Access really isn't robust enough for server usage.…It's not supported in Rails, and there's…no official Database adapter to make it work.…
- Why use Ruby on Rails?
- Installing Ruby on Rails on Mac and Windows
- Rendering templates and redirecting requests
- Generating and running database migrations
- Creating, updating, and deleting records
- Understanding association types
- Using layouts, partials, and view helpers
- Incorporating assets using asset pipeline
- Validating form data
- Authenticating users and managing user access
- Architecting RESTful applications
- Debugging and error handing
Skill Level Beginner
1. What Is Ruby on Rails?
2. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Mac
3. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Windows Machine
4. Getting Started
5. Controllers, Views, and Dynamic Content
6. Databases and Migrations
7. Models, ActiveRecord, and ActiveRelation
9. Controllers and CRUD
10. Layouts, Partials, and View Helpers
13. Data Validation
14. User Authentication
15. Improving the Simple CMS
16. REST and RESTful Routes
17. Debugging and Error Handling
18. Introducing More Advanced Topics
Next steps1m 40s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.