Join Kevin Skoglund for an in-depth discussion in this video MySQL, part of Ruby on Rails 4 Essential Training.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
…When developing web applications, we're going…to use a database to store information.…In this movie, I'm going to show you how…to get MySQL installed to be that database.…If you already have MySQL installed, either because…you've already been developing with it, or because…you've taken another training course that included it,…then you won't need to install it again.…Just skim over this movie to make sure…that you already know everything that I cover.…If you prefer to use a different database, such as SQLite or [UNKNOWN], you should…be able to use those without making many…changes to what I've demonstrated in this tutorial.…But we're going to be sticking with MySQL, and it'll be up to…you to make any adjustments that you need for those other databases.…
There're three steps to getting MySQL installed.…The first step is to install MySQL itself, and for that we have two ways of doing it.…We can go to the MySQL website and…download an installer and install it that way.…And in the past that was typically the only way that you could get it installed.…
- Why use Ruby on Rails?
- Installing Ruby on Rails on Mac and Windows
- Rendering templates and redirecting requests
- Generating and running database migrations
- Creating, updating, and deleting records
- Understanding association types
- Using layouts, partials, and view helpers
- Incorporating assets using asset pipeline
- Validating form data
- Authenticating users and managing user access
- Architecting RESTful applications
- Debugging and error handing
Skill Level Beginner
1. What Is Ruby on Rails?
2. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Mac
3. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Windows Machine
4. Getting Started
5. Controllers, Views, and Dynamic Content
6. Databases and Migrations
7. Models, ActiveRecord, and ActiveRelation
9. Controllers and CRUD
10. Layouts, Partials, and View Helpers
13. Data Validation
14. User Authentication
15. Improving the Simple CMS
16. REST and RESTful Routes
17. Debugging and Error Handling
18. Introducing More Advanced Topics
Next steps1m 40s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.