Join Kevin Skoglund for an in-depth discussion in this video MySQL RubyGem, part of Ruby on Rails 4 Essential Training.
…In this movie, we'll install the 'MySQL RubyGem'.…The 'My SQL RubyGem' contains the code…that allows the ruby to communicate with 'MySQL'.…It will serve as the conduit for a…Reals application to talk to our backend data base.…It's an essential component if we going to use 'MySQL' for database storage.…Unfortunately it's also notorious for being the most…troublesome part of the installation process, especially on Windows.…If you run into problems here don't be surprised it's not uncommon.…Be patient and stick with it and you will eventually get it sorted out.…
I am going to show you how to install the Gem…and also how to solve the most common issues that come up.…So why is the MySQL RubyGem difficult to install?…As best as I can tell there are two main reasons.…First, the software sits right at the nexus of a…lot of moving parts, all being developed by different people.…You've got Ruby.…Then you've got the Ruby Installer, which takes Ruby, packages it…up, configures it up, adds things like the RubyGems to it.…
- Why use Ruby on Rails?
- Installing Ruby on Rails on Mac and Windows
- Rendering templates and redirecting requests
- Generating and running database migrations
- Creating, updating, and deleting records
- Understanding association types
- Using layouts, partials, and view helpers
- Incorporating assets using asset pipeline
- Validating form data
- Authenticating users and managing user access
- Architecting RESTful applications
- Debugging and error handing
Skill Level Intermediate
1. What Is Ruby on Rails?
2. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Mac
3. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Windows Machine
4. Getting Started
5. Controllers, Views, and Dynamic Content
6. Databases and Migrations
7. Models, ActiveRecord, and ActiveRelation
9. Controllers and CRUD
10. Layouts, Partials, and View Helpers
13. Data Validation
14. User Authentication
15. Improving the Simple CMS
16. REST and RESTful Routes
17. Debugging and Error Handling
18. Introducing More Advanced Topics
Next steps1m 40s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.