Join Kevin Skoglund for an in-depth discussion in this video Migration methods, part of Ruby on Rails 3 Essential Training.
We've seen how we can generate, write, and run migrations, but so far we've only…worked with creating and dropping a table.…Migrations allow us to perform many other database operations.…So let's look at some of those other methods that are available to us and then try them out.…First, there are some table migration methods.…We've seen create_table and drop_table already, so I won't go over those again.…Then rename_table is pretty obvious.…We just put the old table name, followed by the new table name.…Less obvious will be the column migration methods.…We have four of them.…add_column, remove_column, rename_column, and change_column.…
Notice that all four of them take as their first argument the table name.…That's the table that we want to add the column to or the table we want to remove it from.…Then as their second argument they take the column name.…Now, I want us to pay close attention to add_column, because what we're doing…here is adding a column with a definition, the same way that we did when we…
- Understanding MVC (Model View Controller ) architecture
- Routing browser requests through the framework
- Responding to requests with dynamic content
- Defining associations and database relationships
- Creating, reading, updating and deleting records
- Working with forms
- Validating form data
- Reviewing built-in security features
- Authenticating users and managing user access
- Debugging and error handling
Skill Level Beginner
1. What Is Ruby on Rails?
2. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Mac
3. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Windows Machine
4. Getting Started
5. Controllers, Views, and Dynamic Content
6. Databases and Migrations
7. Models, ActiveRecord, and ActiveRelation
9. Controllers and CRUD
10. Layouts, Partials, and View Helpers
12. Data Validation
13. User Authentication
14. Improving the Simple CMS
15. Debugging and Error Handling
16. Introducing More Advanced Topics
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.