Join Kevin Skoglund for an in-depth discussion in this video Migration methods, part of Ruby on Rails 4 Essential Training.
…In our migration so far, we've only worked with creating and dropping a table.…Migrations allows us to form many other database operations.…Lets look at some of the other methods and then try them out.…We've already seen some of the table migration…methods, using create table and drop table already, we…also have rename table where we provide the…old table name, followed by the new table name.…There are column migration methods.…You have add column, remove column, rename column, and change column.…All four methods take the table name and…the column name as their first two arguments.…
It's a little different then what we had with create…table, where we specify the table outside the code block.…And then, didn't have to mention the data…table name again, for each column inside the block.…This time, we will need to specify both as arguments.…Pay attention to add_column, we're adding a column with a definition.…The same way we did, when we created the table.…But, notice that we can't use the short…format, that we had available in create table.…
- Why use Ruby on Rails?
- Installing Ruby on Rails on Mac and Windows
- Rendering templates and redirecting requests
- Generating and running database migrations
- Creating, updating, and deleting records
- Understanding association types
- Using layouts, partials, and view helpers
- Incorporating assets using asset pipeline
- Validating form data
- Authenticating users and managing user access
- Architecting RESTful applications
- Debugging and error handing
Skill Level Beginner
1. What Is Ruby on Rails?
2. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Mac
3. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Windows Machine
4. Getting Started
5. Controllers, Views, and Dynamic Content
6. Databases and Migrations
7. Models, ActiveRecord, and ActiveRelation
9. Controllers and CRUD
10. Layouts, Partials, and View Helpers
13. Data Validation
14. User Authentication
15. Improving the Simple CMS
16. REST and RESTful Routes
17. Debugging and Error Handling
18. Introducing More Advanced Topics
Next steps1m 40s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.