Join Kevin Skoglund for an in-depth discussion in this video Migration exercise solution, part of Ruby on Rails 3 Essential Training.
In the last movie, I asked you to take everything we've learned about migrations…and to complete an exercise on your own.…Now let's review that assignment and then go over my solution, so that you can…compare your results with mine and also so we can make sure that your tables…match mine before we move on.…There were three main things I asked you to do.…The first was to generate the models that we would need and by generating those…models, we get migrations at the same time.…The three models are Subject, Page, and Section.…Then we need to actually write those migrations.…I gave you some idea of what the columns we would need would be, as well as what…types each of those columns would be.…
We also need to make sure that we add foreign keys for the relationship between…subjects and pages and pages and sections, and we need to add indexes as well.…I gave you the additional tip that there would be three indexes, none of which…would be on the subject's table.…Then the last step is to actually run your migrations and make sure that they work.…
- Understanding MVC (Model View Controller ) architecture
- Routing browser requests through the framework
- Responding to requests with dynamic content
- Defining associations and database relationships
- Creating, reading, updating and deleting records
- Working with forms
- Validating form data
- Reviewing built-in security features
- Authenticating users and managing user access
- Debugging and error handling
Skill Level Beginner
1. What Is Ruby on Rails?
2. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Mac
3. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Windows Machine
4. Getting Started
5. Controllers, Views, and Dynamic Content
6. Databases and Migrations
7. Models, ActiveRecord, and ActiveRelation
9. Controllers and CRUD
10. Layouts, Partials, and View Helpers
12. Data Validation
13. User Authentication
14. Improving the Simple CMS
15. Debugging and Error Handling
16. Introducing More Advanced Topics
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.