Join Kevin Skoglund for an in-depth discussion in this video Many-to-many associations: Simple, part of Ruby on Rails 3 Essential Training.
Now that we've seen how to create one-to -many associations, we're ready to move…on to many-to-many associations.…We'll start out by looking at a very simple case,…when we just have a very simple joint between the two.…We'll move on to something more complex little later on.…Though many-to-many associations are going to be fairly similar to one-to-many…associations, because they're also going to have an object that has many objects…which belong to it, but the difference is that in many-to-many the objects…don't belong to it exclusively.…So for example, a project has_and_ belongs_to_many :collaborators. The project…can have many collaborators, but the collaborators can also have many projects.…
It's not like the project owns a collaborator exclusively.…They're allowed to work on other projects.…You have a BlogPost that has_ and_belongs_to_many :categories.…If our BlogPost is in both the technology and the training categories, it…doesn't mean that no other BlogPosts can be in the technology and…
- Understanding MVC (Model View Controller ) architecture
- Routing browser requests through the framework
- Responding to requests with dynamic content
- Defining associations and database relationships
- Creating, reading, updating and deleting records
- Working with forms
- Validating form data
- Reviewing built-in security features
- Authenticating users and managing user access
- Debugging and error handling
Skill Level Beginner
1. What Is Ruby on Rails?
2. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Mac
3. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Windows Machine
4. Getting Started
5. Controllers, Views, and Dynamic Content
6. Databases and Migrations
7. Models, ActiveRecord, and ActiveRelation
9. Controllers and CRUD
10. Layouts, Partials, and View Helpers
12. Data Validation
13. User Authentication
14. Improving the Simple CMS
15. Debugging and Error Handling
16. Introducing More Advanced Topics
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.