Join Kevin Skoglund for an in-depth discussion in this video Managing sort positions, part of Ruby on Rails 3 Essential Training.
Let's continue looking at sort positions.…Keep in mind what we just learned in the last movie about the scope of the…positions because you're going to need to apply that again here.…But first we have another issue to solve.…We can use our existing CRUD to edit the position of any one item, but we don't…yet have any mechanism to reposition the other items up or down to make room for i…or to fill in the position that it used to occupy.…What we need is some code that will help us to do that and ideally to do it…automatically in the background.…While moving those items around, we'll also want to be mindful about their…scope so that if we move the position of a page under a subject we don't want…to re-arrange the position of every page. Just the ones that are under that same subject.…
There's a popular plug-in called acts_as_list that does this for you.…We'll talk about plug-ins later.…But instead of using that, we're going to create our own poor man's version…of repositioning code.…It won't be as fast or have as many features, but it will be a good example and…
- Understanding MVC (Model View Controller ) architecture
- Routing browser requests through the framework
- Responding to requests with dynamic content
- Defining associations and database relationships
- Creating, reading, updating and deleting records
- Working with forms
- Validating form data
- Reviewing built-in security features
- Authenticating users and managing user access
- Debugging and error handling
Skill Level Beginner
1. What Is Ruby on Rails?
2. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Mac
3. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Windows Machine
4. Getting Started
5. Controllers, Views, and Dynamic Content
6. Databases and Migrations
7. Models, ActiveRecord, and ActiveRelation
9. Controllers and CRUD
10. Layouts, Partials, and View Helpers
12. Data Validation
13. User Authentication
14. Improving the Simple CMS
15. Debugging and Error Handling
16. Introducing More Advanced Topics
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.