Join Kevin Skoglund for an in-depth discussion in this video Login and logout, part of Ruby on Rails 3 Essential Training.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
In the last movie we added a method called authenticated to our admin user…model that will determine if a set of username/ password values match a user in the database.…Now we want to use that method in the controller by creating a login form and a…login action that will do the authentication.…We will begin by generating a new controller that will handle the user access.…So I am in the root of my Rails application and you should remember how to…generate a controller, generate controller, and we are going to call it Access.…Now here is a helpful shortcut. If there are actions which we are going to use…which also need templates,…it's very helpful if you just list them right after it and it will go ahead and…create the templates for you. It's a nice little shortcut.…
So after the name of the controller, then the names of the actions, so menu…and login. You can see here that it went ahead and actually created a template…for menu and login.…Let's open up our simple_cms and inside controllers. Here is our access…
- Understanding MVC (Model View Controller ) architecture
- Routing browser requests through the framework
- Responding to requests with dynamic content
- Defining associations and database relationships
- Creating, reading, updating and deleting records
- Working with forms
- Validating form data
- Reviewing built-in security features
- Authenticating users and managing user access
- Debugging and error handling
Skill Level Beginner
1. What Is Ruby on Rails?
2. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Mac
3. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Windows Machine
4. Getting Started
5. Controllers, Views, and Dynamic Content
6. Databases and Migrations
7. Models, ActiveRecord, and ActiveRelation
9. Controllers and CRUD
10. Layouts, Partials, and View Helpers
12. Data Validation
13. User Authentication
14. Improving the Simple CMS
15. Debugging and Error Handling
16. Introducing More Advanced Topics
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.