Join Kevin Skoglund for an in-depth discussion in this video Links, part of Ruby on Rails 3 Essential Training.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
We have now mapped out the process from the browser request all the way to…the returned HTML page.…The browser makes a request, the web server looks in the public directory for it, …then passes the request off the routes, the routes picks a controller and an…action, the controller gets everything together that it needs, then renders the…correct view, the view polls pulls in the instance variables that it wants…to display and sends it back to the web server and onto the browser.…That's the full request cycle for a single request.…What we are missing though to close this loop is to have links on our template…so that the user could then click on a link and start the cycle all over again.…
So in this movie, I want us to take a look at how we can put links onto our templates.…You remember that HTML links look something like this.…The text that we want to display for the link is inside the <a> tags and in…this case, it's index page and the target of where we want to send the link is…inside those quotes right after href equals.…
- Understanding MVC (Model View Controller ) architecture
- Routing browser requests through the framework
- Responding to requests with dynamic content
- Defining associations and database relationships
- Creating, reading, updating and deleting records
- Working with forms
- Validating form data
- Reviewing built-in security features
- Authenticating users and managing user access
- Debugging and error handling
Skill Level Beginner
1. What Is Ruby on Rails?
2. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Mac
3. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Windows Machine
4. Getting Started
5. Controllers, Views, and Dynamic Content
6. Databases and Migrations
7. Models, ActiveRecord, and ActiveRelation
9. Controllers and CRUD
10. Layouts, Partials, and View Helpers
12. Data Validation
13. User Authentication
14. Improving the Simple CMS
15. Debugging and Error Handling
16. Introducing More Advanced Topics
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.