Join Kevin Skoglund for an in-depth discussion in this video Layouts, part of Ruby on Rails 3 Essential Training.
Throughout this chapter, we'll be learning techniques for managing view…templates and exploring Rails view helpers.…You can think of this taking the pain out of creating HTML.…We're going to start by looking at layouts.…Most pages in a website are going to share a common structure, header, footer,…style sheets, and possibly other site items like navigation menus or sidebars.…In fact, at the end of the last chapter we saw an example with the flash hash…where we want it to appear on every page that might need to render a message to the user.…It makes the most sense if we can define those page elements in one place…and then reuse them.…
Remember, don't repeat yourself as one of the core principles of Rails, and this…is exactly what layouts allow us to do.…Up until now, the templates we've been working with have been HTML fragments,…not proper HTML pages with header and body tags, etcetera.…That was intentional on my part because now we're going to be able to drop those…HTML fragments into our layouts.…
- Understanding MVC (Model View Controller ) architecture
- Routing browser requests through the framework
- Responding to requests with dynamic content
- Defining associations and database relationships
- Creating, reading, updating and deleting records
- Working with forms
- Validating form data
- Reviewing built-in security features
- Authenticating users and managing user access
- Debugging and error handling
Skill Level Beginner
1. What Is Ruby on Rails?
2. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Mac
3. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Windows Machine
4. Getting Started
5. Controllers, Views, and Dynamic Content
6. Databases and Migrations
7. Models, ActiveRecord, and ActiveRelation
9. Controllers and CRUD
10. Layouts, Partials, and View Helpers
12. Data Validation
13. User Authentication
14. Improving the Simple CMS
15. Debugging and Error Handling
16. Introducing More Advanced Topics
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.