Join Kevin Skoglund for an in-depth discussion in this video Introduction to authentication, part of Ruby on Rails 3 Essential Training.
In this chapter, we'll learn to restrict access to a portion of our…application, so that only users who log in with a valid username and password can gain access.…We call this process user authentication.…Now user authentication is not exactly a beginner topic, but there are a couple…of reasons why I think it's worthwhile to include in this Essential Training.…First, password-protected areas have become so common that you're almost…guaranteed to need one in any site you build.…If you need it, then it's going to be important that you add it correctly.…Mistakes in this area can be very costly.…It also helps reiterate the point that I've made a couple of times that site…development choices and site security go hand in hand.…
You're going to need to be mindful of security in every part of your code.…Finally, it's going to give us a chance to take a look in a few more features of Rails.…Here are some of the concepts that we'll see.…Before we dive into actually implementing the different parts of authentication,…
- Understanding MVC (Model View Controller ) architecture
- Routing browser requests through the framework
- Responding to requests with dynamic content
- Defining associations and database relationships
- Creating, reading, updating and deleting records
- Working with forms
- Validating form data
- Reviewing built-in security features
- Authenticating users and managing user access
- Debugging and error handling
Skill Level Beginner
1. What Is Ruby on Rails?
2. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Mac
3. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Windows Machine
4. Getting Started
5. Controllers, Views, and Dynamic Content
6. Databases and Migrations
7. Models, ActiveRecord, and ActiveRelation
9. Controllers and CRUD
10. Layouts, Partials, and View Helpers
12. Data Validation
13. User Authentication
14. Improving the Simple CMS
15. Debugging and Error Handling
16. Introducing More Advanced Topics
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.