Join Kevin Skoglund for an in-depth discussion in this video Introducing databases, part of Ruby on Rails 3 Essential Training.
In this chapter we will set up our project databases and learn to create…migration files for them.…So far we've walked through the main loop of the request/response cycle:…browser to the controller, controller to the view, view back to the browser.…Over the next few chapters we're going to shift our focus over to the branch…where the model and the database portions are.…Now we could start by learning how to create just a model first when it's…not connected to a database and then we could come back and add in the databases later.…But in practice, the two usually go hand- in-hand and most of your models will be…connected to database tables.…
Also in real-world development, the process of creating those model/…database table pairs usually begins with defining the database, so that's…where we're going to start to.…I realize some of you may not have extensive experience with databases, so the…question comes up, how much SQL should you know?…There are two answers. One is that you can get by, by just following along with me,…
- Understanding MVC (Model View Controller ) architecture
- Routing browser requests through the framework
- Responding to requests with dynamic content
- Defining associations and database relationships
- Creating, reading, updating and deleting records
- Working with forms
- Validating form data
- Reviewing built-in security features
- Authenticating users and managing user access
- Debugging and error handling
Skill Level Beginner
1. What Is Ruby on Rails?
2. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Mac
3. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Windows Machine
4. Getting Started
5. Controllers, Views, and Dynamic Content
6. Databases and Migrations
7. Models, ActiveRecord, and ActiveRelation
9. Controllers and CRUD
10. Layouts, Partials, and View Helpers
12. Data Validation
13. User Authentication
14. Improving the Simple CMS
15. Debugging and Error Handling
16. Introducing More Advanced Topics
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.