Join Kevin Skoglund for an in-depth discussion in this video Introducing databases, part of Ruby on Rails 4 Essential Training.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
…During this chapter, we will set up our project…database and learn to work with database migration files.…We're going to begin by looking at the fundamentals of databases.…In the last chapter we learned about the main loop of the request respond cycle.…From the browser to the controller to the view and back to the browser.…Over the next few chapters, we're going to shift our…focus to the model and database portion of this diagram.…We could start by learning how to create a model without…a database first, and then add in the database connectivity later.…But most models an rails will be connected to database tables.…
And in real world development, the process of creating…those models, usually begins by first defining the database tables.…So that's where we'll start too.…If you've never worked with a database before, chances are…that you have worked with a spreadsheet like Microsoft Excel.…The database is similar in that it has…columns and rows that are populated with data.…A spreadsheet page is what we refer to as…
- Why use Ruby on Rails?
- Installing Ruby on Rails on Mac and Windows
- Rendering templates and redirecting requests
- Generating and running database migrations
- Creating, updating, and deleting records
- Understanding association types
- Using layouts, partials, and view helpers
- Incorporating assets using asset pipeline
- Validating form data
- Authenticating users and managing user access
- Architecting RESTful applications
- Debugging and error handing
Skill Level Beginner
1. What Is Ruby on Rails?
2. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Mac
3. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Windows Machine
4. Getting Started
5. Controllers, Views, and Dynamic Content
6. Databases and Migrations
7. Models, ActiveRecord, and ActiveRelation
9. Controllers and CRUD
10. Layouts, Partials, and View Helpers
13. Data Validation
14. User Authentication
15. Improving the Simple CMS
16. REST and RESTful Routes
17. Debugging and Error Handling
18. Introducing More Advanced Topics
Next steps1m 40s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.