Join Kevin Skoglund for an in-depth discussion in this video Introducing Bundler, part of Ruby on Rails 4 Essential Training.
…In this movie, I want to introduce you to Bundler…,so that, you'll understand its role inside your Rails application.…Bundler is a separate gem from Rails, and can be used outside of Rails, but…Rails is going to depend on it ,to manage the RubyGems that our application needs.…You can read more about Bundler and get documentation about…all of its features at their website, which is bundler.io.…We only need to know, a few basics to use it in our rails project.…The first thing you need to know, is…that there are two files that matter to bundler.…
Gem file, and gem file.lock.…Those are the files that Bundler concerns itself with.…Let's open up Gem File and take a look.…I'll do that from my command line.…Notice that I'm already inside the root of my simple CMS.…And, I'll use my text editor.…Look at GemFile.…This contains configuration information about what gems we want to load.…And ,specifically, what version of gems as well.…So, you can see for example, that it's loading from the source rubygems.org.…The gem for rails 4.0.0.…
- Why use Ruby on Rails?
- Installing Ruby on Rails on Mac and Windows
- Rendering templates and redirecting requests
- Generating and running database migrations
- Creating, updating, and deleting records
- Understanding association types
- Using layouts, partials, and view helpers
- Incorporating assets using asset pipeline
- Validating form data
- Authenticating users and managing user access
- Architecting RESTful applications
- Debugging and error handing
Skill Level Beginner
1. What Is Ruby on Rails?
2. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Mac
3. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Windows Machine
4. Getting Started
5. Controllers, Views, and Dynamic Content
6. Databases and Migrations
7. Models, ActiveRecord, and ActiveRelation
9. Controllers and CRUD
10. Layouts, Partials, and View Helpers
13. Data Validation
14. User Authentication
15. Improving the Simple CMS
16. REST and RESTful Routes
17. Debugging and Error Handling
18. Introducing More Advanced Topics
Next steps1m 40s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.