Join Kevin Skoglund for an in-depth discussion in this video Instance variables, part of Ruby on Rails 4 Essential Training.
…In the last movie, we saw to embed ruby code in our templates.…Now, we'll learn how to use instance variables to…give our templates access to data gathered by the controller.…Think back to our mvc diagram for a…moment, the controller makes decisions about the flow…of the application but it also needs to gather data to be used in the response.…The controller needs to examine the request, make any queries of…the models that it needs, and then when everything is finally ready.…It should call the View template, the…view should have everything already setup before hand.…
So that it can focus exclusively on how to present that data.…A good way to think about this relationship…is to imagine a rock concert; there's a…guitar tech who comes out and sets up all the guitars on the stage ahead of time.…There are different guitars for different songs,…and different guitars may have different tunings.…When the guitarist finally comes out on stage to play, all the…guitarist has to do is walk over, pick up the guitar and play.…
- Why use Ruby on Rails?
- Installing Ruby on Rails on Mac and Windows
- Rendering templates and redirecting requests
- Generating and running database migrations
- Creating, updating, and deleting records
- Understanding association types
- Using layouts, partials, and view helpers
- Incorporating assets using asset pipeline
- Validating form data
- Authenticating users and managing user access
- Architecting RESTful applications
- Debugging and error handing
Skill Level Intermediate
1. What Is Ruby on Rails?
2. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Mac
3. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Windows Machine
4. Getting Started
5. Controllers, Views, and Dynamic Content
6. Databases and Migrations
7. Models, ActiveRecord, and ActiveRelation
9. Controllers and CRUD
10. Layouts, Partials, and View Helpers
13. Data Validation
14. User Authentication
15. Improving the Simple CMS
16. REST and RESTful Routes
17. Debugging and Error Handling
18. Introducing More Advanced Topics
Next steps1m 40s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.