Join Kevin Skoglund for an in-depth discussion in this video Generating a migration, part of Ruby on Rails 3 Essential Training.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
Now that we understand what a migration is and why it's…important, let's set out to generate and write our first migration.…Our migrations are all going to live inside of our db folder.…So, we want to tweak that open just so we can watch what happens in there.…It's the same place that our schema.rb file went.…It's where everything related to the database really ought to go, right?…I'm going to open my command line.…You see that I'm already inside my rails application, and from there I'm…going to run rails, generate.…You'll notice that the generate will tell us all the things…it can generate, and one of those things is a migration.…
So we're going to generate a migration.…Rails generate migration and this will…give us some help about generating migration.…It gives us a lot of information here.…The key thing is that we're going to use…chemal case when describing the name of our migration.…So I'm just going to run that and now we're going to create a simple…sample migration. I'm going to call it, DoNothingYet.…
- Understanding MVC (Model View Controller ) architecture
- Routing browser requests through the framework
- Responding to requests with dynamic content
- Defining associations and database relationships
- Creating, reading, updating and deleting records
- Working with forms
- Validating form data
- Reviewing built-in security features
- Authenticating users and managing user access
- Debugging and error handling
Skill Level Beginner
1. What Is Ruby on Rails?
2. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Mac
3. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Windows Machine
4. Getting Started
5. Controllers, Views, and Dynamic Content
6. Databases and Migrations
7. Models, ActiveRecord, and ActiveRelation
9. Controllers and CRUD
10. Layouts, Partials, and View Helpers
12. Data Validation
13. User Authentication
14. Improving the Simple CMS
15. Debugging and Error Handling
16. Introducing More Advanced Topics
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.