Join Kevin Skoglund for an in-depth discussion in this video Form tag helpers, part of Ruby on Rails 3 Essential Training.
All the form helpers that you've learned so far in this chapter depend on having…ActiveRecord object that you can use with the helper.…But sometimes you need a form or just a form field that isn't connected to an object.…In those cases, we have generic form tag helpers.…Back in the chapter on CRUD, we saw how to use both the object-based text field…helper, and then also the generic text field tag helper.…In the same way, most of the other generic versions are going to have the same…name as their counterparts, but end in _tag too.…So, for example, we have text_field_tag, password_field_tag, text_ area_tag and so on.…
But we need to take a closer look at the syntax of these because there are a…couple of gotchas that I want us to watch out for.…First, let's just refresh our memory what the form_for version looked like.…First is form_for( :subject, and then we have the subject object that we could…use with each of the helpers down the line.…Now compare that with the form_tag version.…The main difference here is that we have to provide values for each of the fields.…
- Understanding MVC (Model View Controller ) architecture
- Routing browser requests through the framework
- Responding to requests with dynamic content
- Defining associations and database relationships
- Creating, reading, updating and deleting records
- Working with forms
- Validating form data
- Reviewing built-in security features
- Authenticating users and managing user access
- Debugging and error handling
Skill Level Beginner
1. What Is Ruby on Rails?
2. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Mac
3. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Windows Machine
4. Getting Started
5. Controllers, Views, and Dynamic Content
6. Databases and Migrations
7. Models, ActiveRecord, and ActiveRelation
9. Controllers and CRUD
10. Layouts, Partials, and View Helpers
12. Data Validation
13. User Authentication
14. Improving the Simple CMS
15. Debugging and Error Handling
16. Introducing More Advanced Topics
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.