Join Kevin Skoglund for an in-depth discussion in this video Form helpers, part of Ruby on Rails 3 Essential Training.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
We saw the basics of working with forms…back we needed forms in the chapter on CRUD.…We kept our forms very simple at the time. Now let's look at the other form…helpers that Rails provides to make working with forms much easier.…We have already used form_for and text_field.…Rails also offers password_field, text_area, hidden_field, file_field,…radio_button and check_box.…I won't spend a lot of time on the HTML mechanics of these. You probably already…know that, or you can look it up if you need to.…Instead let's focus on how to use these inside Rails.…Let me show you an example of a made-up form that uses all of these.…
We've seen form_for in action already, but notice that in this example I give…both the URL and its option hash as well as HTML and its hash.…This is where you'd put all HTML options for the form, such as any CSS class…that you wanted to give it.…Notice that I've put a multipart true because this form is going to have a…file upload field later on and all forms that have a file upload need that option set.…
- Understanding MVC (Model View Controller ) architecture
- Routing browser requests through the framework
- Responding to requests with dynamic content
- Defining associations and database relationships
- Creating, reading, updating and deleting records
- Working with forms
- Validating form data
- Reviewing built-in security features
- Authenticating users and managing user access
- Debugging and error handling
Skill Level Beginner
1. What Is Ruby on Rails?
2. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Mac
3. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Windows Machine
4. Getting Started
5. Controllers, Views, and Dynamic Content
6. Databases and Migrations
7. Models, ActiveRecord, and ActiveRelation
9. Controllers and CRUD
10. Layouts, Partials, and View Helpers
12. Data Validation
13. User Authentication
14. Improving the Simple CMS
15. Debugging and Error Handling
16. Introducing More Advanced Topics
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.