Join Kevin Skoglund for an in-depth discussion in this video Form field labels, part of Ruby on Rails 3 Essential Training.
In this movie, we'll see how to use Rails helpers to create labels for our form fields.…Let's start by looking at some basic HTML for a label element.…In the second line, I just have a basic text input field for subject name.…We've seen this before.…Notice that the id is subject_name, in the line above I have the text name to…indicate to the user what this field is for.…This is the label for the field, and so we wrap it in label tags and give it a for…attribute that matches the field's ID. Why do this?…Well, first because it makes your website as accessible as possible, whether it's…a blind person visiting your site with a special browser or a search engine…spider trying to understand the page to give you a better search engine ranking.…
It makes your form as accessible to as many people as possible.…It's also a good semantic markup because it clearly indicates the role of…the label in its relationship to the field and gives us a way to style the…label text using CSS.…So, it's a best practice and you should try and follow it.…
- Understanding MVC (Model View Controller ) architecture
- Routing browser requests through the framework
- Responding to requests with dynamic content
- Defining associations and database relationships
- Creating, reading, updating and deleting records
- Working with forms
- Validating form data
- Reviewing built-in security features
- Authenticating users and managing user access
- Debugging and error handling
Skill Level Beginner
1. What Is Ruby on Rails?
2. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Mac
3. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Windows Machine
4. Getting Started
5. Controllers, Views, and Dynamic Content
6. Databases and Migrations
7. Models, ActiveRecord, and ActiveRelation
9. Controllers and CRUD
10. Layouts, Partials, and View Helpers
12. Data Validation
13. User Authentication
14. Improving the Simple CMS
15. Debugging and Error Handling
16. Introducing More Advanced Topics
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.