Join Kevin Skoglund for an in-depth discussion in this video Form errors, part of Ruby on Rails 4 Essential Training.
…In this movie, we'll learn how to handle and display form errors.…We won't talk about data validation until the next chapter.…We, we can start by using a very simple validation.…We'll add validates_presence_of:name to our subject model.…That will require that a subject has some value for the name attribute.…Or else Rails won't allow it to be saved to the database.…Not only will the saver update fail, but Rails will add an error…to object.errors which is an array…like structure for holding any validation errors.…
Remember, then our controller, after our…saver update fails, we are re-rendering the…form to give the user a chance to fix the problems and try again.…We'll also have access to object.errors on that form, and we…can use it to display information about what problems need fixing.…Without the display of those errors, the user will…be left wondering why they're seeing the form again.…There are a few useful methods that we can use for working with errors.…There's object.errors.clear which would clear all of the errors.…
- Why use Ruby on Rails?
- Installing Ruby on Rails on Mac and Windows
- Rendering templates and redirecting requests
- Generating and running database migrations
- Creating, updating, and deleting records
- Understanding association types
- Using layouts, partials, and view helpers
- Incorporating assets using asset pipeline
- Validating form data
- Authenticating users and managing user access
- Architecting RESTful applications
- Debugging and error handing
Skill Level Intermediate
1. What Is Ruby on Rails?
2. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Mac
3. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Windows Machine
4. Getting Started
5. Controllers, Views, and Dynamic Content
6. Databases and Migrations
7. Models, ActiveRecord, and ActiveRelation
9. Controllers and CRUD
10. Layouts, Partials, and View Helpers
13. Data Validation
14. User Authentication
15. Improving the Simple CMS
16. REST and RESTful Routes
17. Debugging and Error Handling
18. Introducing More Advanced Topics
Next steps1m 40s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.