Join Kevin Skoglund for an in-depth discussion in this video Form basics, part of Ruby on Rails 3 Essential Training.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
Before we can learn how to add, create, update and delete to our controllers,…we need to learn more about using forms in Rails.…We will take a deeper dive in the forms later on, but I would like to at…least introduce them now.…When working with forms we are going to be using several Rails helper methods…to help us to write the form HTML and there are two things I want you to keep in…mind while we are using these helper methods.…The first is that anything we can write with the helpers can also be…written with simple HTML.…That's what all the helpers are doing.…They're helping us to write HTML.…The end result what goes to the browser is still HTML.…The second point is that writing code using the helpers is almost always going…to be easier, more powerful, and have all sorts of extra benefits and if we'd…written it with just simple HTML alone.…
You will start to see why that's true in the following examples.…Let's begin by just looking at an HTML form.…You can see that my form action is going to be subjects/create.…
- Understanding MVC (Model View Controller ) architecture
- Routing browser requests through the framework
- Responding to requests with dynamic content
- Defining associations and database relationships
- Creating, reading, updating and deleting records
- Working with forms
- Validating form data
- Reviewing built-in security features
- Authenticating users and managing user access
- Debugging and error handling
Skill Level Beginner
1. What Is Ruby on Rails?
2. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Mac
3. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Windows Machine
4. Getting Started
5. Controllers, Views, and Dynamic Content
6. Databases and Migrations
7. Models, ActiveRecord, and ActiveRelation
9. Controllers and CRUD
10. Layouts, Partials, and View Helpers
12. Data Validation
13. User Authentication
14. Improving the Simple CMS
15. Debugging and Error Handling
16. Introducing More Advanced Topics
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.